Hampton City Schools offers Behind-the-Wheel classes; online payment
Hampton City Schools will hold Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) training classes beginning June 20, 2022.
BTW summer dates are: June 20 through 29; July 11 through 20; July 25 through August 3; and August 15 through 24.
Click here for availability of times and dates. Space is limited.
Requirements to take BTW:
- The student must have taken and passed the classroom portion of Driver’s Education.
- The student must have a valid and current Virginia learner’s permit.
- If the student is under the age of 18, he/she must submit their 45-hour Parent Teen Driving Log, signed by the parent or guardian, to the instructor.
- The registration form and fee ($175) must be made online on the Hampton City Schools payment website under the Behind-the-Wheel tab. The link is https://osp.osmsinc.com/HamptonCityVA/.
- Students must have transportation to and from the BTW class. The class is located at Phoebus High School (100 Ireland Street). Classes will take place on the range.
Information about Hampton City Schools BTW:
- The cost of the Behind-The-Wheel program is $175.
- Parents must make the payment online. If you are unable to make an online payment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and she will assist you with making a cashiers check payment.
- Students will receive a written communication through the U.S. mail confirming their session date and time, and other instructions.
- Please bring requested sign documents, green card, and 45-hour Parent Teen Driving Log to the first day of class.
- Students will drive with an instructor two hours a day. The session will last for seven (7) days. Students will not drive on Fridays and weekends.
- Students will be held to the same policies and regulations as in the Student’s Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.
- Masks will not be required. However, if the student or teacher wishes to wear a mask, they will be allowed.
- Parents/guardians must review the COVID Student Health Assessment Questionnaire each day before behind the wheel. If their student answers yes to any of the symptoms list, parents/guardians should keep their student home. Students will be able to make up the days they missed later in the summer.
- The vehicle will be disinfected at the beginning of each session.
- On the seventh day of BTW, the student will be given their driving skills test. If the student passes the test, he/she will be given the following: 180-day provisional license, instructions on how to understand the 180-day provisional license, an insurance form for a discount for completing BTW, and a letter from the instructor with skills the student should continue to work on.
- If the student does not pass their skills test, he/she will be called by the instructor when there is an opening in the schedule to retest.