HAEOP to sponsor Red Cross blood drive on July 28
The Hampton Association of Educational Office Professionals (HAEOP) is hosting a Red Cross blood drive on Thursday, July 28, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. The event will be held in the first floor conference room at the Ruppert Sargent Building, 1 Franklin Street.
Visit https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/drive-results?zipSponsor=haeop to schedule your appointment today!
Facts About Blood Needs
- Every 2 seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood and or platelets.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Less than 38 percent of the population is eligible to give blood or platelets.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- Sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 units.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 units of blood.
- Blood and platelets cannot be manufactured; they can only come from volunteer donors.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- One donation can potentially save up to 3 lives.
- According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.8 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer this year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
For more information about the HAEOP blood drive, contact Carolyn Bowers at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sarah Williams at email@example.com.